Who can connect?
VANIX welcomes all participants! You should, however, have a public Autonomous System Number, as all connections at VANIX are established using BGP4. You should also have IP space to advertise – IPv4 and/or IPv6.
Where can you connect?
VANIX switches are located at the following locations:
- Harbour Centre Tower, 555 West Hastings Street, Vancouver BC V6B 4N5
- 6th Floor, MMR 6B, Cabinet 6B-R3.E (Skyway West 3)
- 21st Floor, Network Cage, Cogeco Peer 1
- Harbour Centre Spencer Building, 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver BC V6B 5K3
- Cologix VAN2, 1050 West Pender Street, Vancouver, BC V6E 4T3
- Suite 212, Cabinet VAN22.214.171.124.A.C023
What port and media types are available?
- 1000Base-LX over LC duplex SMF
- 1000Base-T over CAT5e (only available at Cologix VAN2)
- 10GBase-LR over LC duplex SMF
These are the only media types that are officially supported. You may email info_AT_vanix.ca to request support for an additional media type, and we will try to accommodate your request.
How do we request a connection?
A connection may be requested by sending an email inquiry to info_AT_vanix.ca.
With this request please include some additional detail:
- The exact location of your equipment
- The media type and connection speed
- Equipment vendor, model, configuration.
- Your Autonomous System Number
- The MAC address of your Layer 3 equipment
- The technical contact person for your organization(not publicly displayed)
- Your peering contact(this will be displayed on our website)
- Your peering policy: Open, Closed, Selective
- A link to your peering requirements, if available
- Broadcast traffic must not be sent to VANIX except as required for normal operations
- IPv6 Router Solicitation or Advertisement packets must be disabled
- Spanning tree must be disabled
- Layer 2 protocols such as CDP, UDLD, EDP, VTP, DTP, LLDP must be disabled
- Interior routing protocols such as OSPF, ISIS, IGRP, and EIGRP must not operate over the exchange vlan
- PIM traffic must not be sent to the exchange
- Participants must use BGP4 to exchange routing information
- Participants may not point a default route towards another exchange member without their express consent
- Members should use a Layer 3 port where possible, Layer 2 ports may only advertise a single mac address
For configuration guidelines also see: https://ams-ix.net/technical/specifications-descriptions/config-guide