History at a Glance
On August 29, 2015, Vancouver Internet Exchange (“VANIX”) was incorporated under the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act to facilitate peering at the VANIX exchange and to promote related activities. This new Corporation was created to promote Public Peering in Vancouver, BC through a distributed switch fabric that joins and extends the original Peer1 and BCNET peering points.
– Online traffic graphs publicly available
– First route server in operation
– VANIX incorporation completed
– Initial BoD formed and Officers identified
– Steering Committee decommissioned and renamed to Technical and Operations Committee
– Governance Committee formed to develop By-Laws, funding model, and complete incorporation
– Over 5Gbps on VANIX
– OpenDNS donates Route Server and Optics
– VANIX First User Group and Launch Event
– Peer1 donates a fibre optic switch and LR optics
– Skyway West donates collocation space and power in Harbour Centre MMR 6B. Existing connections to PIX in 6B is re-purposed to connect to this switch
– VANIX goes “live” and website www.vanix.ca in operation
– Cologix donates space and power at 1050 West Pender St., and a dark fibre ring to connect to Harbour Centre.
– ARIN allocates IP address space for the Exchange
– First meeting of Steering Committee
– Registration of vanix.ca
– Juniper Networks donates a fibre optic switch and LR optics for the Cologix site, VANIX’s initial core network is completed. Plentyoffish Media donates additional high-speed optics for redundant paths.
– Extension to Cologix site announced
– VANIX is announced at NANOG Peering Track
– BCNET donates a fibre optic switch and LR optics, and expands its offering to include bilateral peering, as well as continuing to offer its existing multilateral peering over the new Exchange connection
– A volunteer Steering Committee forms to take the necessary steps to create the Exchange Point
– After inquiries about merging their two exchanges, BCNET and Peer1 hold a Town Hall style meeting to discuss a combined Exchange, which results in a great deal of interest
If you feel anything is missing that should be captured in here, please contact us.