Who can connect?
VANIX welcomes all participants! You should, however, have a public Autonomous System Number, as all connections at VANIX are established using BGP4. You should also have IP space to advertise – IPv4 and/or IPv6.
Where can you connect?
VANIX switches are located at the following locations:
- Harbour Centre Tower, 555 West Hastings Street, Vancouver BC V6B 4N5
- 6th Floor, MMR 6B, Cabinet 6B-R3.E (Skyway West 3)
- 21st Floor, Network Cage, Cogeco Peer 1
- Harbour Centre Spencer Building, 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver BC V6B 5K3
- Cologix VAN2, 1050 West Pender Street, Vancouver, BC V6E 4T3
- Suite 212, Cabinet VAN22.214.171.124.A.C023
What port and media types are available?
- 1000Base-LX over LC duplex SMF
- 1000Base-T over CAT5e (only available at Cologix VAN2)
- 10GBase-LR over LC duplex SMF
These are the only media types that are officially supported. You may email info_AT_vanix.ca to request support for an additional media type, and we will try to accommodate your request.
How do we request a connection?
A connection may be requested by sending an email inquiry to info_AT_vanix.ca.
With this request please include some additional detail:
- The exact location of your equipment
- The media type and connection speed
- Equipment vendor, model, configuration.
- Your Autonomous System Number
- The MAC address of your Layer 3 equipment
- The technical contact person for your organization(not publicly displayed)
- Your peering contact(this will be displayed on our website)
- Your peering policy: Open, Closed, Selective
- A link to your peering requirements, if available
- Broadcast traffic must not be sent to VANIX except as required for normal operations
- IPv6 Router Solicitation or Advertisement packets must be disabled
- Spanning tree must be disabled
- Layer 2 protocols such as CDP, UDLD, EDP, VTP, DTP, LLDP must be disabled
- Interior routing protocols such as OSPF, ISIS, IGRP, and EIGRP must not operate over the exchange vlan
- PIM traffic must not be sent to the exchange
- Participants must use BGP4 to exchange routing information
- Participants may not point a default route towards another exchange member without their express consent
- Members should use a Layer 3 port where possible, Layer 2 ports may only advertise a single mac address
For configuration guidelines also see: https://ams-ix.net/technical/specifications-descriptions/config-guide
What does it cost?
In order to operate a high-quality Public Exchange Point, VANIX charges the following fees for services and connections.
Peers must be directly connected to the VANIX exchange. Transport or cross-connections are the responsibility of the Participant. All fees subject to applicable British Columbia taxes.
|Service||Installation Fee||Recurring Fee|
|1 Gbps Full Rate Port||$1,000||$100 /month|
|1 Gbps CIR on 10 Gbps port||$1,500||$100 /month|
|4 Gbps CIR on 10 Gbps port||$1,500||$200 /month|
|10 Gbps full rate port||$1,500||$500 /month|
The Recurring Fees are invoiced yearly, paid in advance, and prorated to Dec 31st as required.
The Committed Information Rate (CIR) limited services do not employ traffic policing or shaping.
If the CIR limit is exceeded as determined by the 95th percentile method over a calendar month, VANIX will contact the participant. At its option, VANIX will upgrade the participant to the next higher service level, and invoice for a pro-rated amount for the difference for the remainder of the current year.
|On-demand or on-site Support||Per Hour|
Email support is available at no cost, staffed by volunteers so “best effort” availability only
|Bank Wire Transfers||$15.00 (per transfer)|
|Paper Invoice||$5.00 (per invoice)|